Understanding healthy feeding transitions and behavior in infants and young children
October 4-6, 2017
Pre-conference (October 4th, 1:00pm-5:00pm)
Supporting Healthy Feeding Transitions throughout Lactation
- First Feedings: Biology and Behavior during Lactogenesis (Jane Heinig, PhD, IBCLC)
- Navigating Lactation Transitions in the First Year of Life (Jane Heinig, PhD, IBCLC)
- The Wonders of Weaning (Jane Heinig, PhD, IBCLC)
Main Conference (October 5th, 8:30am-4:30pm)
Exploring Child Feeding Transitions and Behavior from Birth to 3 years
- Prenatal Transitions: Nutrition from Conception to Delivery (Lynn Hanna, PhD)
- Transitioning to Parenthood (Jane Heinig, PhD, IBCLC)
- Feeding Guidelines for Infants and Toddlers: A Responsive Parenting Approach (Lorrene Ritchie, PhD, RD)
- From Being Fed to Choosing Foods: Origins of Human Relationships with Food (Jane Heinig, PhD, IBCLC)
- Beginning at the Start: Importance of Nutrition During Early Childhood Transitions (Lorrene Ritchie, PhD, RD)
- Investigating Important Transitions: A Case Study Approach (Interactive Workshop)
Post-Conference (October 6th, 8:30am-3:00pm)
Understanding and Addressing Toddler Feeding Challenges (Baby Behavior for 6 months to 2 years)
- Baby Behavior Review (Jane Heinig, PhD, IBCLC)
- Helping Parents Understand Their Toddlers (Jane Heinig, PhD, IBCLC and Jennifer Bañuelos, MAS)
- Toddler and TOTT Study Background
- 6 Big Changes
- Reasons for Food Refusal
- The Truth about Tantrums
- Scripts and Routines
Walter A. Buehler Alumni Center
530 Alumni Ln
Davis, CA 95616
Registration Information – CLOSED
Registration will be open until September 19, 2017
2 Days: $375
- Pre- and Main Conference (October 4-5, 2017)
- Main and Post-Conference (October 5-6, 2017)
3 Days: $425
- Pre-, Main, and Post-Conference (October 4-6, 2017)
Late Registration Fee – Registrations received between September 6, 2017 and September 19, 2017 will include a $50 late registration fee.
JANE HEINIG, PhD, IBCLC
Dr. Heinig serves as the Executive Director of the Human Lactation Center. She is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and an Academic Administrator in the Department of Nutrition at UC Davis where she conducts research in the areas of clinical lactation, education, policy development, program evaluation and infant nutrition. Dr. Heinig received her PhD in Nutrition Science from UC Davis and currently specializes in public health nutrition. She is the Graduate Advisor for the Master of Advance Study in Maternal and Child Nutrition Program at UC Davis and is an instructor in several of the courses.
Lorrene Ritchie, PhD, RD
Lorrene Ritchie is the inaugural Director of the Nutrition Policy Institute which was established three years ago by the University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Dr. Ritchie has devoted her 20-year career to synthesizing and conducting research to inform nutrition programs and policy. The goal of her work is the prevention of food insecurity, obesity and chronic disease, and the promotion of health and wellness, with an emphasis on the youngest and most vulnerable populations and the federal nutrition assistance programs. She recently was a member of the Institute of Medicine Committee on Evaluating Progress of Obesity Prevention Efforts and on the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Expert Panel to develop Feeding Guidelines for Infants and Toddlers. Dr. Ritchie has a M.S. and a Ph.D. in nutritional sciences from the University of California at Berkeley, and is also a Registered Dietitian.
Lynn Hanna, PhD
Dr. Hanna is an Associate Professor in the Family and Consumer Sciences Department at Sacramento State. She teaches courses in Lifespan Nutrition in the undergraduate programs in Nutrition and Food and Dietetics. She has a background in developmental nutrition and has conducted research on the role of maternal nutrition on embryo development and fetal growth. Her current research interests include political and environmental influences on food access and quality among college students. She serves on the advisory board for the Associated Students Inc. campus Food Pantry and is a founding faculty member for the Sacramento State Housing and Food Security Task Force. She serves as the faculty adviser for two student clubs promoting nutrition education and awareness of maternal and infant health issues. In the community, Dr. Hanna is a member of the Steering Committee for the Sacramento Food Policy Council and a consultant for the Food Literacy Center, a non-profit teaching healthy eating in under-served schools. Lastly, she is an active advocate for maternal and infant health with the Western Division for Advocacy and Government Affairs at the March of Dimes.
Accommodations and Driving Directions
Sacramento International Airport is the closest airport to UC Davis, located about 30 minutes away from our campus. If you’re looking for transportation to campus, we recommend contacting a local cab company or the DavisAirporter shuttle service at 1-800-565-5153. If you choose to rent a car, use the directions on this page.
Hyatt Place – 0.2 miles
Aggie Inn – 0.7 miles
Best Western University Lodge – 0.8 miles
Best Western Palm Court – 1.1 miles
Hallmark Inn – 1.1 miles
Holiday Inn Express – 2.7 miles
Driving Directions and Parking – Click Here
A draft agenda is available at the top of this page and on page 1 of the Registration Packet . A final agenda will be available soon.
Click here to see comments about our past conferences!
Continuing Education Credits:
California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)
Day 1: 3.5 Contact Hours
Day 2: 6.75 Contact Hours
Day 3: 4.75 Contact Hours
International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE)
Provider # CLT113-13
Day 1: 3.5 L-CERPS
Day 2: 1.75 L-CERPS and 5.0 R-CERPS
Day 3: 0.5 L-CERPS and 3.25 R-CERPS
In order to cover our mandatory expenses, we must adhere to the following refund policy:
- Full refunds (100%) will be available for cancellations up to and including 30 days prior to the event.
- 50% refunds will be available for cancellations up to and including 14 days prior to the event.
- No refunds are available for cancellations less than 14 days prior to the event.
- We are sorry but there will be no exceptions to this policy.